Uladzimir Kirylavich Sauchanka (b. 9/27/1939, setl. Khmelnoe, Buda-Koshelev district, Gomel region, Belarus). A geneticist. A Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus (1989), Doctor of Biological Sciences (1977), Professor (1987).
He graduated from the Belarusian Institute of Technology (1962). In the 1965-1978 Jr., Senior Fellow, in 1979 -1990 Head of the Laboratory of the Institute of Genetics and Cytology, National Academy of Sciences. In 1980 -1990 Chairman of the Belarusian National Committee for the UNESCO program "Man and Biosphere". In 1990-2002 Chief Programme Specialist, Natural Sciences Sector of UNESCO. In 2003-2007 Principal Researcher in Institute of Genetics and Cytology of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. Since 2010 Principal Researcher in the Institute of Philosophy of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus.
Scientific research in the field of general biology, genetics, genomics and ecology. He introduced the concept of genosphere, coenogenetics and coenogenomics. Founded the new branch of science: "genetics of biotic communities" and "geogenomics". Proposed the concept of associative genetics, associative selection and associative evolution. Developed methods of genetic analysis and synthesis of polyploid populations, experimentally studied the genetic processes in populations of Drosophila in the course of long-term selection, proposed and experimentally tested a system of genetic monitoring of populations. Published articles on the history of genetics and philosophy of biology. Developed and delivered a package of computer programs of the genetic analysis for breeding centers in Belarus and other CIS countries. The technology of network test crosses has found application in breeding centers of the CIS countries. Organized the International Chernobyl Ecological Science Network of UNESCO for interdisciplinary studies of environmental effects of the Chernobyl disaster.
Belarusian SSR State Prize in 1984 for collective work "The genetics of heterosis and ways of its use in plant breeding," published in the 1961-1982 years.
He has published over 300 scientific papers, including 14 monographs, 3 inventions.
He was awarded international medals.
1. Savchenko V.K. Genetics of polyploid populations. Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika, 1976.
2. Rokitskii P.F., Savchenko V.K., Dobina A.I. Genetic structure of populations and its change during selection. Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika, 1977.
3. Savchenko V.K. Genetical analysis in net test crosses. Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika, 1984.
4. Savchenko V.K., Kasinskaia S.I., Dobina A.I., Mosse I.B., Kuzhir T.D., Mikhalevich L.S. Selection and mutation process in populations. Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika, 1985.
5. Savchenko V.K. Genetic analysis and synthesis in practical breeding. Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika, 1986.
6. Savchenko V.K., Tananko M.V., Anoshenko B.Yu. Long-term selection in populations. Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika, 1988.
7. Savchenko V.K. The genosphere: the genetic system of the biosphere. Minsk: Navuka i tekhnika, 1991; New York & London: The Parthenon Publishing Group, 1997.
8. Savchenko V.K. The ecology of the Chernobyl catastrophe. Paris, New York and London: The Parthenon Publishing Group, 1995; Minsk: Belaruskaya navuka, 1997.
9. Sauchanka U.K. Coenogenetics: genetics of biotic communities. CPL Press, 2001.
10. Sauchanka U.K. Geogenomics: Organization of the genosphere. CPL Press, 2009.
11. Savchenko V. K. Geogenomics: Organization of the genosphere. Minsk: Belaruskaya navuka, 2009. 12.Savchenko V.K. Coenogenetics: genetics of biotic communities. Minsk: Belaruskaya navuka, 2010.
1. A Celebration of Global Achievements. American Biographical Institute. 2000.
2. 500 Founders of the 21st Century. International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England. 2003.
3. Vladimir Kirilovich Savchenko (To the 60th Anniversary) (In Russian).
4. Uladzimir Kirylavich Sauchanka (To the 70th Anniversary) (In Russian).
5. Biobibliography of Scientists of Belarus: Uladzimir Kirylavich Sauchanka. Minsk. Inst. Genetics and Cytology and Central Scient. Library named after Ya.Kolas. 2009.
/ Academy Membership / Corresponding Members / Back to Top of Page