The State Scientific Institution "The Joint Institute of Mechanical Engineering of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus" was established by the Decree of the NASB Presidium No. 45 of 17 May 2006. It resulted from the reorganization of the NASB Institute of Mechanics and Reliability of Machines by joining the Research and Engineering Republican Unitary Enterprise "Belavtotractorostroenie" to it.
The day of 17 August 1957, when the BSSR Council of Ministers established the Institute of Engineering Science of the BSSR Academy of Sciences, is considered to be the day of formation of the NASB Joint Institute of Mechanical Engineering.
The Joint Institute of Mechanical Engineering of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus is the leading research center of Belarus in the field of mechanics and mechanical engineering. It has two subdivided centers of collective sharing, namely the Republican Computer Center of Mechanical Engineering and the Center of Structural Research and Tribo-Mechanical Testing of Materials and Mechanical Engineering Products, as well as Research and Development Center “The Republican Proving Ground for Mobile Machines Testing” and “AСADEMSERT” Certification Authority.
At present, Pavel L. Mariev, Hero of Belarus, works at the Institute. Among the researchers, there are also two corresponding members, 17 doctors and 27 candidates of science.