/ About Academy / Academy Departments
The Departments are the main research and scientific-organizational units of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. They unite Academicians and Corresponding Members of the Academy from one or more areas of science, coordinate the activities of the scientific and other organizations attached to the Departments by the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences. Each Department is headed by the Academician-Secretary, who is a member of the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences. He is appointed to the post by the resolution of the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences.
The Departments of the Academy of Sciences are accountable for their activities within their competence to the General Meeting, the Presidium and the Bureau of the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences, as well as the Chairman of the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences, and fulfill the following main functions:
- ensure advancement and coordination of fundamental and applied research and development in the relevant fields of science;
- put forward proposals for shaping the programs of fundamental and applied research and development, monitor their implementation, evaluate the results of these research and development, as well as the level of scientific personnel training in the scientific organizations attached to the Department;
- draft proposals on accelerating scientific and technological progress and the social and economic development of the Republic of Belarus;
- examine the effectiveness of international scientific cooperation of the scientific organizations attached to the Department;
- establish and implement scientific relations with ministries, other republican state authorities, state organizations subordinate to the President of the Republic of Belarus or the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus, scientific organizations and institutions providing higher education, creative unions and associations of the Republic of Belarus and other countries.
At present, the NAS of Belarus has seven Departments in its organizational structure, namely:
The Department of Physics, Mathematics and Informatics
The Department of Physical Engineering Sciences
The Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences
The Department of Biological Sciences
The Department of Medical Sciences
The Department of Humanities and Arts
The Department of Agrarian Sciences
The General Meeting of the Department, is the Department’s supreme collegial body of management. Among its members there are the Academician-Secretary of the Department, Academicians and Corresponding Members of the Department, leaders of scientific organizations of the Department who are not members of the Academy of Sciences, representatives of scientific organizations attached to the Department, as well as of scientific organizations of ministries, other republican bodies of state administration, and institutions providing higher education, on the profile of their scientific activities, which were elected to the General Meeting of the Academy of Sciences in accordance with the Statute of the NAS of Belarus, and the Scientific Secretary of the Department.
The session of the General Meeting of the Department is convened as necessary but not less than twice a year. During the inter-session period, the Department’s activities are supervised by the Bureau of the Department, which is elected by the General Meeting of the Department upon recommendation of the Academician-Secretary. The composition of the Bureau is approved by the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus.
/ About Academy / Academy Departments / Back to Top of Page